Image hosted by Photobucket.com
To the BATMOBILE
Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Butlerman spies with his lil' eye...

I spy with my little eye, something starting with an "F" in the near future.

That being said, it literally is an "F", scribbled next to my chinese oral examination marks (no lewd comments please). Having learned a total of dribbleshit's worth of Chinese whatsoever within the last six months due to a total lack of comprehension of what is being tested in the Chinese O-levels new syllabus, I was recently forced to partake in an oral conversation.

Knowing all too well about my chinese speaking capabilities, I desperately turned to my class' chinese scholars tiny English-Chinese (and vice-versa) pocket electronic dictionaries. Unsurprisingly, it filled my head with rubbish that would not be needed whatsoever, be in in any examination nor real life, which explained why nobody actually buy the bloody things. Even before I tried, I knew that this sort of thing would have a limited utility. How frequently I would wish to say "I love the springtime - However it would soon be winter", and "Kite-flying is really fun, I wish to fly more kites" in Mandarin in Singapore would be questionable.

I must admit, the changing of the syllabus is a noble idea, but what I would like to learn (and thus be able to use) would be totally different. Take, for example, how useful it would be, to convey to the fiercest toilet attendant in Singapore (who conveniently plies her trade at my family's most visited hawker centre), an ex-professional wrestler, and totally illiterate in English, not to crane her head to watch me relieve myself. To assure her that I would not dribble on the tiles nor steal an urinal cake would be a blessing I do not have (I fear any attempt I try to communicate using my limited vocabulary would only result in her giving my kidneys a karate chop that would fell an enraged gorilla.

After stuttering through most of the passage in the reading segment of the examination, and (hopefully, very cleverly) dodging most of the questions she hurled at me during the conversation bit, what crippled me was when she asked me how long I have been studying Chinese. I can say it did not do wonders for my confidence.

It did take me the better part of the holidays to get over it, and a large portion of my wallet's contents (Happiness is expensive these days). This also probably being my (very lame) excuse of the lack of work achieved during the 5 day rest period. The most I have achieved within the holiday break would arguably be to watch Willy Wonka and his Oompa Loompas dance around like poofs. Though I would like to confess that staring at several (one, in particular) wet dreams while waiting in Lido would be one of the better memories I have commited to mind (I have repented since then - "Forgiven, but not forgotten" as they say). Once an ACSian, always an ACSian?

"Can you say 'Brainwashing'"?
TO THE BATMOBILE

posted by butler at 10:46 pm
link |

0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

back to main page



The Writer

highly confidential
Martin Butler, or affectionally known to others as "Butler", "Butlerman", or just "Butt".
-Most eligible bachelor of 2004-every year henceforth - step aside Mr.Clooney
-Doesn't particularly enjoy much anymore having been desensitized as part of a cruel torturous regime a.k.a IB...
-Dislikes everything he doesn't like...

Nov 8th - Remember the date!
MSN - butlerwantsu@hotmail.com (Add with caution)


Archives


November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
April 2007
September 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
October 2008
December 2008
January 2009
March 2009
May 2009
October 2009
November 2009


Links

Under permanent state of reconstruction - you may start by asking me to link you

If I have forgotten anybody (or maybe I just don't know enough people...), let me know

Google
Blogger
Yahoo!
MSN
Photobucket


the Garage cum Batforum

a tense atmosphere of hot air, greasy stains and the endless grumbles of the engine - and that's only me




Designed by mela | Image from stock.xchng
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com